2017 Small Business Website Statistics You Need to Know
Yes, You Need a Small Business Website!
While the majority of small businesses do have a website there are some business owners that absolutely do not see any value in having one. Here at the highly caffeinated agency we are always surprised when we hear things like: “My customers are not online.” or “The web is not important for my business.” So here are some important small business website statistics that may change your mind!
A majority of small businesses (71%) indeed recognize the importance of a digital presence and created a website. Over half of small businesses surveyed launched their website before 2016, and another 16% launched in 2016 alone. Clutch.co
Having an online presence is essential for marketing your small business. By not having a business website you give the impression that you are no longer in business. These small business website statistics illustrate just how important it is for any small businesses to have a professionally built, mobile-friendly website.
Small Business Website Statistics (Updated October 2017)
- Over one quarter (29%) of small businesses do not have a website (down from nearly half in 2016)
- 17% of all small business websites are not in compliance with Google’s Mobile-Friendly Algorithm of 2015
- 79% of all small business websites claim their websites are mobile-friendly and will render successfully on mobile devices or smartphones
- According to Google, the majority of searches come from mobile devices, even if a desktop is available
- 51% of all small businesses use in-house staff to maintain their website, 40% use a freelancer or consultant, 38% use a DIY website builder, and 31% use a web design agency
- 23% of small business websites get updated less than once a year
- 30% of small businesses with a web presence generate more than 25% of their revenue online
- 70% of small business websites have no call to action
- 68% don’t have an email address on the homepage
- 50% of online sales are lost when visitors can’t find content
- 82% of small business websites don’t have social media accounts
- 91% of customers have visited a store because of an online experience
- 37% use the Internet to find a store at least once per month
- According to Google’s 2016 data, 68% of consumers who conduct local searches on their smartphone go to a store within 24 hours, and nearly 50% make a purchase within a day
- Of the small businesses that have websites, 69% of them are having annual sales of $1,000,000 – $2,490,000
75% of small business owners see internet marketing as an “effective” or “very effective” tool to attract new customers. Business 2 Community
Key Benefits of a Small Business Website
- Marketing opportunities increase from a “local” audience to a global audience
- Digital sales conversions save time and labor
- Elevated brand and greater ability to manage web aesthetic
- More cost effective than brick and mortar
- The ability to track marketing and business analytics
When asked what would most improve their businesses in 2017, 32 percent of small business owners in the Capitol One survey cited “increasing advertising and marketing.” But just 14 percent said “creating a website.” These days, however, a website should be the basis of your advertising and marketing efforts. Without one, you can’t hope to compete effectively. Score.org
Primary Reasons for Not Having a Small Business Website
- 31% of small businesses use social media instead of having a website
- 25% of small businesses lack technical knowledge
- 23% of small businesses believe it is not relevant to their business or industry
- 22% of small business lack human and/or financial resources
74 percent of small business websites have no eCommerce. SmallBizTrends
Small Business Website Priorities for 2017 and Beyond
- 23% plan to create more high quality content to publish on-site
- 20% plan to make their website more mobile-friendly
- 19% plan to make their website more user-friendly
- 17% plan to improve SEO by optimizing on-site features
- 12% plan to improve website security
- 9% have no plans to improve their website
Above data and statistics courtesy of Clutch.co 2017 Small Business Website Survey
What Small Business Website Statistics Mean to You
Simply put, not having an effective and engaging small business website is a major obstacle for your business growth and success. Even if you have a brick-and-mortar business potential consumers will look for you online first. If they do not find your small business they will go to one of your competitors. Is that really what you want?
There are many cost-effective options for getting an effective small business website. Proven small business content management systems and reliable website hosting options are a great starting point. By considering website cost factors you can determine what you absolutely need to start, and what you can add to your business website later. There is even a handy guide for small business website creation for you to follow.
As you can see from our small business website statistics not having a business website is just not an option any longer. If you don’t have one you better think about it. And while we really don’t recommend DIY small business web design it is certainly an option. Hiring a professional web designer or agency may cost more, but you will get the website you need to grow your business faster and with less effort.
We Build Small Business Websites!
Feel free reach out to us and learn more about our small business and e-commerce website design services. Our team can help you determine exactly what type of website and options you need now and in the future, and help consider all the aspects of these small business website statistics. All you have to do is click the button below. The highly caffeinated team is here to help!
Do you have anything to add to our small business website statistics? Maybe you have an example of your own that you can share? Please leave your comments below so our audience can benefit as well, and grab our feed so you don’t miss our next post! And help other business owners understand the value of a business website by sharing our small business website statistics with them!
Thanks, we appreciate your help in eradicating bad business websites!