Why You Need to Consider Paid Social Advertising
Listen up, folks! There is no such thing as free social media, and there never was. Back in the early days brands got decent organic reach by simply being and posting on social media. This still took time and effort, so it was not really free. In 2015 organic reach is minimal at best, and in order to stand out brands have to pay money to reach new audiences. Using paid social advertising for lead generation is one way for businesses of any kind to gain traction in the digital market place.
Many businesses already use some form of paid advertising, mainly in the form of a Google AdWords or PPC campaign. Many brands are active on social media, at least on the major social and professional networks like Facebook , Twitter and LinkedIn. There are many other platforms that offer paid advertising as part of their marketing offerings. In this post we will focus on the specific challenges and opportunities of paid social advertising.
Using Paid Social Advertising for Lead Generation
Paid Social Advertising on LinkedIn
LinkedIn – The Business Network
- 313 Million Monthly Users
- Drives 50% of the World’s Hires
- Over 3 Million Businesses are on LinkedIn
- One third of all professionals are on LinkedIn
LinkedIn Paid Social Advertising Tips
- LinkedIn Ads tend to generate up to 5 times more impressions than Sponsored Updates. However, Updates can generate 5 times the engagement rate.
- When posting a Sponsored Update, always provide a custom image, one that is optimized for click-throughs.
- For B2B advertisers, LinkedIn typically drives much higher conversion rates (up to 7 times) compared to Twitter and Facebook.
- The higher your engagement rate, the lower your bid will need to be. Increase your engagement rate by optimizing your ad creative.
- LinkedIn Ads are often best suited for lead generation, while Sponsored Updates lend themselves to both lead generation and and more viral content sharing.
Paid Social Advertising on Twitter
Twitter – The Microblogging Network
- 284 Million Monthly Users
- 342,000 Tweets every Minute
- Available in 202 Countries and Territories
- 208 Followers per User on Average
Twitter Paid Social Advertising Tips
- Do not include hashtags, @symbols or image URLs in your promoted tweet, they distract from the offer and you will pay for any clicks.
- Lead Generation Cards include an image along with a download button on your promoted tweet. They generate higher engagement rates, but the resulting lead data can be thin.
- Website Cards add a custom headline, image, and Call to Action to a Promoted Tweet. They also deliver to the URL of your choosing.
- Twitter tends to generate the highest click rate, but since favorites, re-tweets, etc. count as billable events, conversion rates are usually lower vs. LinkedIn.
- Keyword Targeting typically produces a higher click-through rate, but volume is harder to come by.
- Internet Targeting makes it easier to generate impressions, but engagement rates will likely be lower vs. Keyword Targeting.
Paid Social Advertising on Facebook
Facebook – The Social Sharing Network
- 1.4 Billion Monthly Users
- 1 Billion Links Shared every 20 Minutes
- 21 Minutes by Average User Spent per Day
- 92% of Social Marketers use Facebook Advertising
Facebook Paid Social Advertising Tips
- Facebook Ads typically generate up to 5 times the impressions vs. Boosted Posts, but Boosted Posts generate up to 3 times the engagement rate.
- Facebook can generate very high impressions and very attractive cost-per-click (CPC) rates. The challenge for B2B advertisers is generating conversions and high quality leads.
- A more targeted options is Custom Audiences, which enables you to target Facebook users who match the profile of your existing customers or database contacts.
Bonus – General Paid Social Advertising Tips!
- Test continuously! Make only modest changes from one ad to the next to better understand what variables drive real impact.
- Always reference a specific offer (e.g. free demo, white paper.) Avoid more generic calls to action such as “Learn More.”
- Start with CPC instead of CPM biding to minimize the risk of paying for impressions with no clicks to show for it.
Setting Up Your Own Paid Social Advertising Campaign
Now that you understand the benefits of paid social advertising you should include it in your overall paid advertising strategy for your business. It’s OK to start slow. Pick your favorite from the above and start there. Feel free to experiment and switch messaging and visuals to see what gets the biggest response.
Of course, you can save yourself a lot of time and trouble and have us develop and implement a paid social advertising campaign for you. We have a number of digital marketers, content strategists, and search engine specialists who can help you identify roadblocks and overcome obstacles in your digital lead generation strategy. Why not get started by requesting your paid social advertising estimate?
And if you are still not sure about how paid social advertising can benefit your lead generation in 2015, don’t worry! Simply reach out and contact us. Our expert team will listen to you, answer your questions, and determine the best way for your business to maximize your lead generation through the use of paid social advertising. That is one of our specialties, after all!
Do you have any paid social advertising tips, questions or concerns you would like to share? Feel free to add your comments below so our audience can benefit as well, and grab our feed so you don’t miss our next post! And feel free to share our paid social advertising tips with your audience!